TikTok’s helpful AI is programmed to be your constant companion. Here, the algorithm’s job is to analyse your preferences and preferences-based activity on the platform to generate information about what you might find most interesting. The goal of TikTok’s interest tracking is to ensure that the For You page is constantly updated with content that is relevant to your interests, thus keeping you actively engaged on the platform.
To keep track of how its users interact with the videos they’ve posted, TikTok keeps track of any comments made on those videos. As you begin to comment on videos, the algorithm begins to compile a list of the topics about which you care. Submitting a comment on a video shows your enthusiasm for the subject being discussed.
A like represents one aspect of your enthusiasm. By giving a video a thumbs up on TikTok, you are instructing the app to show you similar videos in the future. If you watch a video about vegans and like it, for instance, you can expect to see other similar videos about vegans on your “For You” page.
What Should I Do If I’m Bored With TikTok?
TikTok uses a variety of signals to determine your preferences and curate content for your “For You” page. Interested in checking out some fresh new content on TikTok, but not sure how to switch your interest? Please follow the instructions below.
- Launch TikTok and access your account.
- To access the menu, select the three vertical dots in the top right.
- Select the Privacy and Settings menu.
- Select Content Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- Use the filter video keywords menu option.
- Click “Add keyword,” then type in the terms or topics you’d rather not see.
- It’s up to you to decide between “For you” and “Following” as the starting points for your filters.
- When you’re finished, make sure to hit the Save button.
To see the updated list of interests, simply restart TikTok or refresh the page. In this way, you can switch your interests on TikTok whenever you get sick of seeing the same videos.
Modifying Your “For You” Page on TikTok:
- To edit your profile, launch TikTok, tap your username, and then tap the three dots (…) in the upper-right corner.
- Find “Free Up Space” under “Cache & Cellular Data” at the bottom of the page. A clear cache option will appear; select it.
You should visit your “For You” page once more.
Find a video that you don’t want to watch, and then press and hold the post until a menu appears. Select “Not Interested” if you aren’t curious. Alternatively, you can access the menu by tapping the share button.
You can always go back to step 4 and do it again, or you can block all posts from a certain creator or only those that contain a certain sound. You can do this by selecting the “More” option next to “Not Interested” when you long-press on a post containing a sound or creator you don’t want in your FYP. Then, select the option to “Hide videos from this user” or “Hide videos with this sound.”
As well as blocking unwanted content, you should actively engage with posts you find interesting by clicking the corresponding buttons to show your approval.
Last but not least, you can look for specific posts you want to see, and the system will begin to learn your preferences.
Like other platforms, TikTok strives to optimise your experience to keep you coming back for more. One excellent strategy is to hone your interests until the vast majority of the material you enjoy is directly related to those passions. Follow these steps to renew your enthusiasm for TikTok and discover what you’ve been missing out on.